So you say you want to try playing poker. You saw it on TV, or your uncle plays it, it looks fun. By all means, play poker. But, before you do that get familiar with the rules. It’s not just about making bets; there is a subtle thing like lingo and what not. So let us get you a guide for the poker table.
The Language of Poker
To start let us give you the basic lingo at the poker table. First is the ‘Ante’ it is the smallest wager in the round, it is a small amount of money each player has to pay to be dealt their cards. ‘Fold’ This is when you don’t want to play your hand anymore, and you throw your cards in. Note that you don’t get your money back. ‘Call’ is when a player bets and you make a bet matching the amount they wagered.
Next up is ‘Raise’ this is when you think you have a better hand than a player and make a bet higher than theirs. ‘Capped betting’ this happens after around four raises, you can only make calls after that. ‘Check’ is not always possible but when it is, you can get by to the next round free. Lastly is ‘Bluff’ a tactic that a player can use to trick others that they have a good hand by making crazy bets.
The Hands that Can Win
So the basic idea of poker is that each player gets two cards. Then the dealer will reveal three cards on the table that every p[layer can use. These cards are then used in combination with their card to make a winning combination. Below are the types of combinations based on how valuable they are starting from the least valuable.
– Nothing: Highest valued card wins
– Pair: any two cards of the same number or letter like two kings, two 5s, etc
– Three of a kind: Like pairs except in these like three 4s
– Straight: All in order like 2-3-4-5-6 in any suit
– Flush: all cards of the same suit as all hearts
– Full House: combo of pair and three of a kind like two 2s and three kings
– Four of a Kind: Like a pair except in fours like four 5s
– Straight Flush: Cards of the same suit in the right order like 2-3-4-5-6 all spades
– Royal Flush: A-K-Q-J-10 all in the same suit.
It is also of note that in poker the hierarchy of suits typically follows this format: Diamonds over hearts over spades over clubs.
Know When to Walk Away
You can play poker anywhere these days especially with online casinos and dedicated sites like qqpokerdomino. Still, it is important to know when to walk away from the table, so you don’t overspend. A good way to go about it is set a budget for bets. Or set a cap for wins or losses. Poker is a fun, challenging game, but there is no fun in losing a ton of money.